Add Story to Favourites Fragments from Middle-earth by lindahoyland
[Reviews - 0] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Tag this Story:
Be the first to add a tag to this story

B2MeM Challenge: Zeal

"Be he friend or foe or foul offspring

of Morgoth Bauglir, be he mortal dark

that in after days on earth shall dwell,

shall no law nor love nor league of Gods,

no might nor mercy, not moveless fate,

defend him for ever from the fierce vengeance

of the sons of Feanor, whoso seize or steal

or finding keep the fair enchanted

globes of crystal whose glory dies not,

the Silmarils. We have sworn for ever!"

Format: 300 word ficlet

Genre: general

Rating: G

Warnings: none

Characters: Aragorn, OMC

Pairings: none

Summary: Aragorn faces opposition to change

Disclaimer: The characters are the property of the Tolkien Estate. No profit has been, nor will be made from this story.

A/n. This ficlet is a sort of footnote to my story “Oaths of Allegiance”

http://lindahoyland.livejournal.com/448785.html
 

B2MeM 2013 Day One--Zeal

B2MeM 2013 Day Thirty

Aragorn looked up from the papers he was working on as the Master of Ceremonies was shown in. “You wished to see me, Master Mardil?” he enquired.

“Yes, my lord. I thank you for taking the time to speak to me. I am most concerned about the oaths that were taken this morning.”

Aragorn replaced his quill in the inkpot and sighed. “What troubles you, Master Mardil?” he asked. “I thought the ceremony went well and hope tomorrow’s goes as smoothly.”

Mardil cleared his throat. “There is a problem, my lord. I fear you have been misinformed over the order of the words in the oath of allegiance.”

Aragorn raised his eyebrows. “Really? I thought I knew the words well.”

“I am sure that you do, sire, but the oath ends fealty with love, valour with honour, oath-breaking with vengeance. Today you said valour with honour, oath-breaking with vengeance; fealty with love. ”

“Indeed, I did, Master Mardil. Such was my intention.”

Mardil looked shocked. “My lord!” he protested. “The wording of the oath has been unchanged in almost a thousand years! It is unthinkable.”

Aragorn regarded him with a steely gaze. “Why should the wording not be changed? Does it make the oath less binding?”

“No, my lord, but it goes against tradition and protocol!”

“Some traditions are outmoded and benefit from change. I appreciate your zeal for tradition, Master Mardil, but the wording of the oath as it stood with the emphasis on vengeance reminded me over much of the oath of Fëanor and his sons. This is a new age. I would hope I can rule with love rather than vengeance.”

“But, my lord!”

“You may leave me now.”

Aragorn sighed as Mardil strutted off. It seemed he had exchanged fighting Orcs to battling over- zealous officials.