Add Story to Favourites Facets of Friendship by Silivren Tinu
[Reviews - 10] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Tag this Story:
reunion humor

TITLE: The Fifth Walker
AUTHOR: Silivren Tinu
BETA: the wonderful Imbecamiel (((hugs)))
RATING. K+
SUMMARY: Aragorn and Legolas have a little talk about words that have been spoken and decisions that have been made during the Council of Elrond. Gapfiller, set between the Council of Elrond and the departure of the Nine Walkers from Rivendell. Bookverse. Written for Prompt #130 “Responsibility” in the Aragorn Angst yahoo group.
DISCLAIMER: I do not own anything that is recognizable from the books or the movies. I just like playing with elves and rangers and will usually return them unscathed. Well, mostly. ;-)

 

 

 

~ The Fifth Walker ~

 

‘Alas! Alas!’ cried Legolas, and in his fair elvish face there was great distress. ‘The tidings that I was sent to bring must now be told. They are not good, but only here have I learned how evil they may seem to this company. Sméagol, who is now called Gollum, has escaped.’

‘Escaped?’ cried Aragorn. ‘That is ill news indeed. We shall all rue it bitterly, I fear. How came the folk of Thranduil to fail in their trust?’

(J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘The Lord of the Rings’, Book Two, Chapter II: ‘The Council of Elrond’)

 

“I am sorry.”

The voice broke through the peaceful silence, startling the elf who was standing in the far corner of the balcony, watching the mists rise from the River Bruinen far below, lost in thought. Aragorn did not miss the unusual reaction. In all the years they had known each other, he had never been able to sneak up on Legolas. He did not like that he had been able to do so today.

Legolas looked at him, meeting his gaze for a fleeting moment. Then his eyes seemed to be drawn back to the swirling wafts of mist, which were slowly closing in on them, seemingly swallowing the valley and the mountains beyond until the balcony seemed to be nothing but a small island drifting in an endless grey void. Even the roaring of the mighty falls was nothing but a muffled sound in the distance.

Satisfied that his presence was not unwelcome, Aragorn stepped out onto the balcony, leaning against the rail beside his friend. The mist was wet and cold on his skin, but he had always liked the silence and the feeling of security that came with it. More than once, it had hidden him from his enemies and kept him safe. Even now, it was tempting to believe that this place and the people inside it would be safe as long as the mist hid them from prying eyes.

“The words I said at the council were thoughtless and overhasty,” Aragorn finally went on, his words honest and tinged with regret. “They should have never been spoken.”

This time, he gained the elf’s undivided attention. “There is no need to apologize, Estel,” Legolas said quietly. “I never held those words against you.”

“Besides,” he added after a moment, looking down at his hands where they were resting on the rail, “everything you said was true. Sméagol was our responsibility. You entrusted him to us, and we failed you.”

“You did not fail me,” Aragorn contradicted, and they both knew he was referring to a single elf now. “You did all you could, and you suffered great losses for it. I could not ask for more. None of you could have known how dangerous and crafty a creature Gollum was.”

“I should have known,” Legolas insisted, still not looking at his friend. “He appeared to be nothing but a wretched and miserable creature, but I should have known better than to waste my pity.” He took a deep breath. “I of all people should know that anything that comes out of Mordor is tainted and deadly, even if it was taken there against its will. If anyone should apologize, it is me.”

Aragorn eyed him for a long moment, sympathy in his eyes. “We should have talked about this sooner,” he said, a hint of regret in his voice. “Legolas, will you look at me for a moment?”

The elf raised his head, but Aragorn could see he did it reluctantly. “The death of the guards is not your fault,” the ranger said emphatically. “Neither is Gollum’s escape-“ He raised his hand to ward off the protest forming on the elf’s lips. “I know what I said during the council. I should not have spoken before I knew all the facts. Neither you nor any of the other warriors in Mirkwood could have known how dangerous Gollum could be, without knowing about his history. I might have pitied him myself, had I not spent so many weeks trying to keep him from murdering me in my sleep.”

Looking at Legolas, Aragorn saw that his words were finally beginning to have an effect. The elf seemed to be willing to at least think about what he had said, instead of dismissing it right away. Knowing that he had made his point and that further prodding would be counterproductive, the ranger waited patiently for his friend to reach his own conclusion.

“Perhaps you are right,” Legolas conceded after a while. “No one could have foreseen that Gollum would somehow be able to enlist the help of orcs to regain his freedom. But I still believe I should have been more cautious. Every creature That has been tainted by the Dark Lord’s touch tends to repay kindness with treachery. It would be easier to bear if I had been guarding Gollum that day.”

“I am glad you were not,” Aragorn said. If Legolas had been among the guards that day, he knew it would have been him who was unable to forgive himself.

There was silent understanding in Legolas’ eyes. “I also regret that Gollum’s escape made things even more difficult for you,” he added after a moment.

“I know,” Aragorn answered. They looked at each other for a moment, and the ranger noticed gratefully that his friend was finally beginning to relax. “There is still a chance we might never see him again.”

Legolas shook his head. “The Ring will call to him,” he said softly. “He will be drawn to it as long as there is still life in his body. I will never underestimate its power again.”

Aragorn knew the sudden chill he felt had nothing to do with the mist or the cool evening air. “I hope you are wrong.”

“So do I.”

“So it was Gollum’s escape that has been tormenting you for all these weeks since the council?” the ranger asked, both wanting to know and wanting to change the subject. “I feared you were avoiding me out of anger.”

Legolas smiled at him. “I told you I never held the words you spoke at the council against you,” he replied simply.

“You would have had every right to do so,” Aragorn admitted, “especially since I was careless enough to utter those words in the presence of dwarves.”

Legolas’ eyes narrowed. “On second thought, perhaps I should not have forgiven you quite so readily,” he mused.

Aragorn chuckled. For a while, they shared a companionable silence.

“It is hard to believe that such a wretched creature was a hobbit once, or at least something very much like one,” Legolas spoke up then, looking thoughtful. “Perhaps it was a mercy instead of a tragedy that Isildur was killed so soon after he had taken possession of the Ring.”

Ther mere thought of Isildur turning into as revolting a creature as Sméagol had become, or of having to face his ancestor now instead of Gollum, made Aragorn shudder. “It likely was,” he agreed, wondering where his friend was going with this.

“We are blessed to have leaders like Lord Elrond and Mithrandir among us, who are wise enough not to take the Ring or use it even if it was presented to them,” the elf went on.

Aragorn stayed silent. He could feel his friend’s gaze boring into him.

“You are not Isildur, Estel,” Legolas said quietly. “Nor is the Ring your responsibility because your ancestor chose to keep it. His choice is not yours, and neither is his weakness.”

The ranger began to wonder exactly when he had lost control over this conversation. Sometimes he wished Legolas did not know him quite so well.

“Do not deny that you will go with Frodo,” the elf went on relentlessly. “I saw that decision in your eyes the moment he declared he would take the Ring.”

Aragorn looked up at that, staring at the elf. “How could I not go, knowing that Isildur brought this upon us!” it erupted from him. “The Ring is my fate. It belongs to my heritage as surely as the ring of Barahir. It is bad enough that Frodo had to take the Ring because I did not dare do so! How could I allow him to walk into danger without me?”

Legolas sighed. “You could not,” he said, “even if Isildur was not your ancestor or if he had never taken the Ring from the Dark Lord’s hand. I only wish you could leave the burden of guilt and doubt behind you, which you have been carrying for so many years now.”

There was pain in Aragorn’s eyes when he said, “I cannot. Not before I have proven to myself that I will resist its temptation. Isildur has done great harm to this world, and still I fear I might do the same. I do not know how Frodo found the courage to take this burden. How can I be sure that I could resist the Ring’s temptation if I do not even dare to touch it?”

“Not daring to take the Ring does not prove your cowardice, but your wisdom,” Legolas replied harshly. “If Mithrandir and Lord Elrond do not trust themselves with that Ring, neither should you. I would not take it if my life depended on it. It is the nature of the Ring that it corrupts the one who carries it, and as I understand it, its power matches that of its bearer. Of all of us, a hobbit may well stand the best chance of surviving this task without losing himself!”

Aragorn rested his elbows on the rail, trying to calm down. He could not deny that Legolas’ words made sense. “Perhaps you are right,” he reluctantly echoed the elf’s words from before, “but I still wish Frodo did not have to carry this burden in my stead. It does not seem to be fair.”

“I know,” Legolas replied, putting a hand lightly on his friend’s shoulder. “Frodo had a choice, and he will not be alone.” He met the ranger’s gaze. “And neither will you.”

Aragorn straightened, alarm in his eyes. “I would never ask that of you, Legolas.”

“You do not have to ask.”

“The Ring is not your responsibility,” Aragorn insisted. “There is no reason for you to risk your life in this quest. You do not need to atone for Gollum’s escape.”

“I can see ample reason to go on this quest,” Legolas answered, looking at him meaningfully, “and this has nothing to do with Gollum’s escape. Where the Ring is concerned, it became my responsibility the moment it reappeared and threatened what I hold dear.”

Aragorn stared at him, not sure whether to be afraid for his friend’s sake or grateful for his own. “But – what about your duty to your realm and your father?” he asked softly.

Legolas turned his head, his piercing gaze fixed on the swirling mist as if he could see right through it to the majestic peaks of the Misty Mountains beyond. “The fate of the Ring will decide the fate of Middle-earth,” he said quietly. “By going on this quest I will serve my people and my king better than I could anywhere else. It is true that my presence would make a difference in the upcoming fights, but it would only be a temporary reprieve. This time, victory can only be achieved by destroying the Enemy’s most formidable weapon, and by protecting those who have taken that task upon themselves.”

“But-” Aragorn began again, only to be interrupted before he could voice any further objections.

“Save your breath, Estel. The decision has already been made.”

“You have spoken to Lord Elrond about this?” Aragorn asked disbelievingly.

“I have,” the elf confirmed, and repeated, “The decision has been made.”

Aragorn sighed, but he could not help the smile tugging at his lips or the gratitude shining in his eyes.

“Hannon le,” he said, knowing there was nothing else to say.

Legolas smiled back at him, but the only thing he said was, “I think it is time for supper. Since there are hobbits around, we would probably do well to be early.”

Aragorn laughed. “Your words are wise, as usual,” he answered.

Knowing that Legolas and Gandalf would both be a part of the Fellowship, he found that the quest suddenly did not seem like such an impossible thing anymore.

 

- The End -